Young 5s Program Overview
Schedule: Monday – Friday
Half Day – 8:00 am to 11:00 am
Full Day – 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
Purpose: Prepare students for our full-day Kindergarten the following year.
- Our program is intended for older four-year olds and younger five-year-olds who are not quite ready for our full-day Kindergarten program.
- Students must turn four by August 1.
- Maximum of 14 students with one teacher.
- Develop important building-block skills for reading, writing, speaking and listening – core components of a classical education.
- Learn that school is a joyful, loving place.
- Learn habits of courtesy, self-control and caring for one another.
- Learn through discovery and hands-on activities.
- Enjoy daily teaching of God’s word; learn to pray with and for each other.
- Develop habits of orderliness and attentiveness.
- Reading — Lay a solid phonics-based foundation for reading, develop phonemic awareness skills; listen daily to classic children’s stories; learn letter sounds and proper written formation; strengthen language comprehension and build vocabulary.
- Math — Develop strong number sense with concrete manipulatives and fun math activities.
- Science – Encourage exploration and discovery, as well as integrate math and science with hands-on investigations related to the fall, winter and spring.
- Bible – Daily Bible stories and prayer time
- Music – Weekly music classes
- Arts and crafts – integrated with subjects studied
- Daily recitation time – poems, songs, Bible memory verses
- Students will wear the same uniform as our K students.
- Students will bring a snack, water bottle, small backpack or satchel.
- Students who attend full day may bring a small blanket, pillow, or stuffed toy to sleep with during nap time.
- Same application process as for K, except no assessment is needed.
- Students will have a daily outdoor play time (weather permitting).